What is bacterial vaginosis and who is more likely at the risk?
Bacterial vaginosis is usually common in women who are sexually active and it is not common for virgin female. Any women of age can get this vaginal problem. In this article we will discuss about what is bacterial vaginosis, who and how you get this problem? Here are some information you need to know for common general knowledge.
What is bacterial vaginosis and its symptoms?
As we know that there are healthy and good bacteria in woman’s vagina which are dominant over bad anaerobic bacteria. When this balance is disturbed then bad or anaerobic bacteria get increased in number and cause bacterial vaginosis with its symptoms.
Bacterial vaginosis can give rise to further complications which do not have usually good consequences. It might cause preterm labor in pregnant women or it can cause severe infection after c-section.
Women who are affected with this condition are more prone to get other sexually transmitted diseases like HIV, Herpes or gonorrhea and others. If condition go on untreated then it might spread to the upper reproductive organs like uterus and ovaries etc.
This is a kind of infection which cause inflammation in vagina and it results in itching, foul vaginal smell and burning during urination. Furthermore, it causes secretion of thin gray or green vaginal discharge. If you see any of the symptoms in your body then you should have an idea what could be the cause. And you should consult your doctor for proper guidance and treatment.
It might happen because of multiple reason as your body might not be producing enough health bacteria in vagina. Or you might have weak immune system and it is easy for bad bacteria to take over the control.
You may also get this problem if you have multiple sex partner or homosexual women.
It is majorly prominent in women who tend to over wash their vagina with soaps of other substance. Some kind of scent based sprays can also kill natural bacteria in vagina and cause vaginosis.
Diagnosis and management:
Usually it is diagnosed on basis of your symptoms and your doctor might do your pelvic examination to check the effect on pelvic organs. Moreover, they can also send the discharge sample to the lab and confirm the possible diagnosis.Once the treatment has diagnosed so your doctor will prescribe you medication in oral and ointment form.
It is the best recommended treatment for bacterial vaginosis and also present as Flagyl brand in certain countries. Also,It can be either given as oral medication for particular time period and its ointment are also available. Ointment is usually in form of injections which are inserted into the vagina to relieve the symptoms. Some washing solutions are also available that balance the vaginal PH which is usually higher in bacterial vaginosis. Furthermore, CLINDAMYCIN or TINIDAZOLE are also given to treat this infection.
Make sure you get the doctor’s appointment first rather than try any treatment before diagnosis. Sometime you can confuse yeast infection with bacterial vaginosis or other sexually transmitted diseases. So wrong treatment can make the condition worse than better.
Furthermore you can do certain things to keep the good health of vagina:
- Try to eat citrus fruit vegetables, as citrus things has antioxidant like vitamin C which eliminate body toxins and strengthen the body immune system. Moreover it inhibit the growth of harmful bacteria on body. This is how it try to keep the vagina away from harmful toxins and bacteria.
- Avoid multiple sex partners and always chose for protected sex.
- Try to use cotton undergarments as cotton keeps the area dry as air can pass through it easily. Other silk stuff like nylon and polyester takes time to get dry and cause the particular odour.
- Change sanitary pads twice or thrice a day during menstruation according to amount of bleeding. Make sure you do not keep the sanitary pad for long time.
- Also you can use coconut oil and apply it on inflamed area that will bring down the infection and swelling quickly.
- Also, avoid overuse of water and soap in your vagina and let it do its own work as vagina is self cleaning in nature.
- take care of good hygiene as well which can avoid certain infections in vagina.