Blood in stool(rectal bleeding) possible causes and management
Rectal bleeding is something you might have experienced at least once in life as it is not very uncommon. This situation is usually not very serious but it does need medical attention in some cases.This article will talk about some possible causes of rectal bleeding or blood in stool. What symptoms you should know about it and when to consult doctor. Moreover, this article will educate you with some simple home remedies that can help you with this problem at home.
What is rectal bleeding and its causes?
Rectal bleeding is any type of blood that passes through your anus which could be from fresh red color to dark maroon or even black. Usually this happens during bowel movement or you can see blood in stools or on your toilet paper. Usually blood could be bright red which reflects the problem in lower digestive regions like colon and rectum. While dark red or maroon color reflects the bleeding from higher areas from colon and rectum.
Ulcers are actually sores in digestive system which could be causing inflammation and bleeding. Furthermore hemorrhoids are the swelling of veins in rectum or anal area. Sometimes you might get bleeding because of passing a very hard stool and this usually cause anal fissure or tear in anal sphincter. Furthermore, rectal bleeding could be caused by colorectal cancer, polyps, rectal abscess or fistula etc. Furthermore , it can cause by anal intercourse or during pregnancy when there are quite chances to get hemorrhoids.
Usually this condition doesn’t need emergency medical attention and you can even resolve it at home. If this condition persist and you feel further symptoms with bleeding like pain, dizziness , light-headedness or fever then you should consult your doctor.
Your doctor might need the stool sample to check the cause and origin of bleeding and sometime they go for colonoscopy to see any other problem inside digestive tract.
You doctor will treat you according to the cause. As if you have bleeding due to persistent constipation then you might be prescribed with medication that can soften the stool.
Inflammation or pain can be dealt with anti-inflammatory and pain killers. Sometime they make changes in your diet or might suggest you some supplements. Furthermore if any problem is caused by infection then antibiotics are recommended. Inn severe cases, you doctor might suggest you a surgery which can eradicate the problem.
If you have mild rectal bleeding with no severe symptoms then you can follow some tips or home remedy given below. This can resolve you anal bleeding without any medication or prevent it from getting worse:
- the most important thing you can do is reduce the straining during passing stool. If your stool is very hard then you need to eat fibrous food that can reduce the hardness or stool. Try to consume broccoli, carrots, nuts, apple, peas, beans,potato, oranges, melon and wholegrain etc. Making this quick change in diet can relieve your symptoms to the greater extent.
- Take plenty of fluids like water, juices and milk. At least take a liter of water in whole day and keep your self hydrated as well.
- Aloe Vera: Add Aloe Vera in your diet as it is the most healing plant for this condition. It soften your stools and being anti-inflammatory reduce the inflammation or swelling in digestive tract. This plant will also provide maximum hydration and kill unwanted germs.
- Don’t sit in toilet seat for too long and apply some pain relieving ointment around anal area if there is a significant pain.
- Avoiding taking food or drink like alcohol which can cause dehydration and constipation.
- You can add a few drops of pyodine in a warm water and sit in it for 10-20 minutes to relieve symptoms like pain or inflammation etc.
- If you are taking certain types of blood thinning medication then consult your doctor and discontinue it intake because that could be a reason for blood in stool as well.
- Stop eating food with so much food color as this can cause dark color stool or urine as well.